The INN Box Office Hours for Business and Planning Assistance
Most INN members started a news organization because of their passion for investigative and public service journalism. Yet to sustain the organization, they’ve had to expand their business acumen. This juggling act can be challenging. That’s where we can help.
Bring your strategy and business questions, ideas and challenges to the weekly ZOOM video chat sessions held Wednesdays 3-4 pm EST. Sign up for a time slot and access instructions here: INN Box Office Hours Schedule
Who could benefit from these chat sessions?
- Are crafting a business model and need some guidance.
- Want to develop a business plan, but aren’t sure where to start or how to approach the task.
- Are wrestling which how to prioritize various audience, revenue and distribution models for nonprofit news.
- Those facing a strategic shift or crossroads and need help thinking it through.
- Have created a business plan draft and need some objective feedback.
- Have an idea for a new revenue stream, but aren’t sure how to go from idea to execution.
- Are diversifying into advertising/underwriting revenue and need assistance with a sales strategy and implementation plans.
- Need help building financial projections.
- Want to better understand the story your financials are telling you.
Drawing on the experience of our 100+ members, INN has compiled best practices on the business and practice of journalism for emerging news nonprofits. Explore our Learn site to draw from the knowledge of our members. (A note: we also think it's important for nascent organizations to think through a variety of ethical issues. Our ethics policies resource is available here.)
Looking for business advice and feedback on how to steer your organization forward or a place to chat about your revenue diversification strategies? INN’s Chief Knowledge Officer Fran Scarlett holds INN Office Hours every other Wednesday.
- Assess and enhance your current business plans
- Evaluate new opportunities comprehensively
- Develop and implement new strategies and business models
Rate: Free for INN members, $100 per hour for non-members. Access Business Coaching.
Strategic Planning & Facilitation
Executive Transitions are one of the hardest moments in the life of a nonprofit. Nearly half of leadership transitions fail, largely due to lack of preparation. Preparing for an Executive Transition is about building a strong organization that can survive and even thrive beyond the leader’s tenure. Why wait until your leader is on the brink of leaving to strengthen your organization? Banyan Coaching and Consulting will help you gain the tools you need to build an organization that is durable, resilient and positioned to thrive under the current or new leadership.
- Consultation on leadership transition plans
- Training on setting up an organization to thrive before, during and after a leadership transition
- Banyan Coaching and Consulting does not help with recruitment.
Rate: Consulting fees are offered on a sliding scale from $1,000-$3,000 per day. Access Succession Planning & Executive Transition Service.
Human Resources Leadership Coaching
This program is designed to support established and emerging leaders to be more effective, confident and creative. Through individualized coaching over a period of three months, leaders will be better able to deliver results while balancing needs for self-care and reflection.
The package includes the following:
- Six one-hour coaching sessions to be conducted via Zoom over the course of three months.
- A 30-minute consultation with the leader’s manager to ensure coaching goals are mutually understood and agreed upon.
- Email and phone/text support between sessions
Rate: $725 for INN members and $900 for nonmembers/nonprofits. Get started with the HR Leadership Coaching program.
Nonprofit Management Resources
We have a wide variety of resources to help you optimize your ability to manage a nonprofit, including:
- Charity Registration Services
- Fiscal Sponsorship
- Payroll + HR Services
Visit our Services portal to learn more and to take advantage of these tools.
Major Gifts/Major Donor Services
Approaches, services and discounts for INN members
INN recommends that nonprofit news organizations start planning major gift or major donor programs as soon as you’ve launched your organization — or at any point in your development.
- Nonprofits get 71% of their philanthropic funding from individuals, vs. 16% from foundations (GivingUSA2016)
- For small nonprofits with funding plans, 50% of individual donor income comes from donors giving $1,000 or more. Online giving runs about 17%. (SSIR 12.1.15).
- Major giving is now the fastest-growing revenue area in public media and small stations are being encouraged to invest in major giving programs (Current, 3.20.17)
In other words, most nonprofits should not wait until they hit a certain size to start planning major donor programs — start now. Learn more about the News Giving Roadmap, a comprehensive program designed to expand the capacity of our members to build sustainable revenue from individual donors including annual gifts, mid-range gifts, major gifts and planned giving.
INN Major Gift Services & Discounts
Shared Services are to be accessed via the News Giving Strengths Assessment, part of the News Giving Roadmap.
- Major Gifts Coaching
- Wealth Screening
- Donor Profiles
Major Giving Resources :
- Check out the library of how-tos and white papers from Veritus Group. Of particular note, the "You Are NOT Too Small!" article.
- How to get started with fundraising, from AFP.
- On major giving for small market public radio, from Current.
- Planning for major gifts for small nonprofits, from Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Building your individual donor base, from Standford Social Innovation Review.
- 10 ways small nonprofits can improve their major gift fundraising, from Guidestar.
- Giving USA: 2015 was America’s most generous year ever, largely due to major giving.