- This event has passed.
Truth and Transformation: Changing Racial Narratives in Media Conference
March 19, 2019 @ 8:00 am - March 20, 2019 @ 5:00 pm UTC-4
The Truth and Transformation: Changing Racial Narratives in Media is an innovative conference that aims to equip media professionals to challenge racial narratives and build trust in local news media. Learn how to create more accurate, complete and trustworthy narratives by challenging racial bias -- for yourself, your work and your communities. The conference is the product of a collaboration between The Minnesota Humanities Center, Minnesota Public Radio, KMOJ, Pillsbury United Communities, ThreeSixty Journalism at the University of St. Thomas, and Hamline University.
The Truth and Transformation conference exists to help media professionals and media educators collaborate with each other and with communities to:
- understand the impact that racial narratives have on individuals, communities, and trust in media;
- create and champion more accurate and complete narratives in news media, individually and collectively;
- challenge and change systems that inhibit their ability to do so.
As a participant, you will:
- Experience a personal connection to your own stories and develop respect and empathy for the stories of community members and colleagues
- Examine and challenge your own assumptions, biases and ways of knowing and place value on the strength of different world-views
- Assume personal responsibility for how assumptions and biases can inform/impact your storytelling
- Learn what you can do in your role to affect narrative change
- Hear first-hand how individuals and communities are impacted by racial narratives
- Engage collaboratively, respectfully and empathetically to amplify community-centered solutions to narrative change
- Co-create practical strategies for achieving narrative change in your profession as a whole.
PLEASE NOTE: Registration priority will be given to educators, students, journalists, editors, producers and other media professionals who make content decisions about news coverage and programming. If the conference has not reached capacity by March 1, we will invite media and communications professionals to attend based on the order in which they registered.